The area is home to an abundance of native birds, reptiles and other animals including kangaroos, wallabies, wallaroos and wombats and is surrounded by imposing tree-lined mountains.
The original inhabitants of the locality are believed to be the Darkinjung people, though the Awabakal and Wanaruah nations are also mentioned.
The town's name is an Aboriginal term said to mean 'meeting place of the waters' or simply 'meeting place'. It was apparently pronounced 'Wu-lum-bee', though today it is pronounced Wo (as in wok) – lum (as in thumb) – bi (as in buy).
There are a vast number of historic Aboriginal sites in the surrounding countryside which is thought to have been used as a ceremonial meeting place as people from hundreds of kilometres visited the area and made their way to Mount Yengo – a place of great significance throughout the ancient nations of eastern Australia.
There are rock engravings, sharpening grooves, hand stencils, tribal markings and other images in caves and outcrops, frequent evidence of camping sites along the Brook and it's tributary creeks, and two major mapping sites containing many engravings. Want to know more about the history of Wollombi? Wollombi Valley Online
Wollombi Valley Arts Council Aboriginal Arts & Culture
By the 1870’s, fifty years after first white settlement in the Hunter Valley, the township of Wollombi had a court, police force, two churches, a school with nearly 100 pupils, several inns, two general stores, a butcher, a blacksmith, a wagon builder and a harness maker. Colonial history of Wollombi
To learn more about the history of the Wollombi Valley, why not visit the Endeavour Museum in the village?
Built in 1993, the vineyard nestles in a tranquil valley only 1.5 kilometres from historic Wollombi Village. The cellar door was constructed to compliment the existing heritage values of the Undercliff Estate with the external slab walls superbly set off a cedar cathedral ceiling. The wine making equipment was built specifically as was the 6 metre table used for vintage lunches and other functions.
Proclaimed and settled as a farm in 1846 the property still retains the original timber slab sheds and homestead, the latter is now unique accommodation for guests named Settlers Cottage
The clay quarry: for the 19th century Wollombi brickworks is adjacent to the vineyards and is now a billabong fed by a subterranean water table providing irrigation for the vineyard.
Located on the land originally granted to Napoleonic War Veterans in the 1820's, this property has become renowned for its horticultural produce. The Heslop family farmed deer and cattle on the property for many years before establishing the vineyard in 1995. Their vision for the vineyard is to produce premium quality wines through sustainable viticulture – no insecticides and only organically approved fungicides are used.
The family homestead, cellar door and wine cellar are all built of sandstone quarried on the farm and old convict stone. Our Cedar Creek Cottages, which are self–contained with all modern amenities, are built from old timber slabs and convict brick to the rich heritge of Wollombi. Now in our 7th generation of farming here, we continue to maintain a very healthy environment in this wonderful part of the world.
Wollombi Village Vineyard occupies land originally part of the early settlement of Wollombi village and was apparently used as the ‘Governor Gipps Inn’ back in 1841, ‘Sloan’s Bakery’, and the Cricket grounds as well as the Wesleyan School grounds – so quite a historical, central location. When purchased in 1988, owner’s Alan & Maria Roe remember the block was simply open vacant land.